More about coaching

‘Everyone is acting at the level you know. When you know better, you do better.’             Maya Angelou

I can help you

o Be more confident.
o Assess where you are.
o Discover what you really want – and why.
o Uncover what is holding you back and empower yourself.
o Create more options and deal with obstacles.
o Set goals and make plans that you love.
o Find powerful motivation to keep you on track.
o Realise how many resources you truly have.
o Make the big decisions and changes you want.
o Learn to appreciate your fabulous self.

Coaching works no matter where you are starting from and no matter what the size of your goals. Your dreams don’t have to be grand or glorious. They must be authentically yours and have the potential to improve your quality of life.

We get more of what we focus on in life, so in coaching we focus on what you really want and how you can bring more of that into your life.
Coaching is a confidential, non-judgemental process. It allows you take quality time out to really think about what you want and how you are going to make your vision a reality.

All you have to bring to coaching is a desire for change, the commitment to set goals that suit you and to take action to achieve them.

A famous study of Yale University graduates in 1953 discovered that only 3% of the class had written goals. It is no coincidence that 20 years later, this same 3% were wealthier than the other 97% put together. They were also healthier and happier.

Where coaching came from

Business and Life Coaching as a profession developed originally from sports coaching. In sports coaching often meant teaching or instruction but once the necessary skills are learnt, the difference in performance between average and great is far more about the mental / emotional game than the technical skill. 

Coaching at top levels in sports is all about removing internal obstacles to unlock a person’s true potential. It is about helping them to learn rather than teaching. The process translated so easily to business and life it quickly developed and became established in the US and UK as a highly cost effective method of developing potential in any area of life.

Coaching is all about accessing your own resources to ensure you are doing the right things to get the outcomes you want.

Like medicine, training, mentoring, counselling and other therapies, coaching is a personal support service.

You are the manager of your life, you are the person with primary responsibility for you. It makes sense to identify the supports and resources that you need to live well and to put them in place for yourself.

How coaching differs from counselling and mentoring

Counselling focuses on the past and often on one aspect of a client’s life that has caused or is causing dysfunction. It often deals with deep-rooted emotional issues. In coaching we may explore the past but only to identify patterns you want to change or learn from to help you move forward. Coaching is holistic and future focused.

Mentoring is guidance or advice from someone with more experience or knowledge of a role or area; it shortens learning time and can be vital in development. Coaching uses the client’s own experience and knowledge to move them forward and provides a different level of personal development.